We’ve all had our hair styled and even our clothes styled for a special occasion….but our homes?! What does it mean to “Style” a home or business?
Professional styling or staging of a home is the process of taking new or existing décor and accent items and rearranging them to look polished and thoughtfully placed. Imagine walking into a model home or a tour of homes and thinking “woah, my house never looks this put together!” Good news friends…. It can!
The first step? Take it all away! Grab a couple of boxes or laundry baskets and start gathering all of the “knick knacks” sitting around your house.
*Disclaimer….this could be an emotional process and make you feel all weird inside! Trust us – this is necessary, and we won’t make you throw the whole box away! We want to edit your décor down to the items that display your personality and passions and make your space feel like home.
Once you have cleared all of your horizontal surfaces of their items -think mantle, side tables, bookshelves, coffee table- give everything a good cleaning. After all, a clean house is a pretty house!
Next, dedicate some time to really go through these items and make some piles:
- Items you love and still want to display
- Items you love but may not necessarily need to be on display – this is why we have attics and Rubbermaid containers!
- Items to giveaway or donate
- Items to sell in a garage sale or online sale site
Groups 2, 3 and 4 can immediately go to the garage or another room to keep from distracting you from the task at hand!
Now we’re left with group 1 – items you love and still want to display. Take a good look at these and decide:
- Does anything need to be repaired or repainted? Sometimes a fresh coat of spray-paint will take an old finial or basket and make it look like a million bucks!
- Does anything need to be updated? Frames are an inexpensive item to change out and keep your home looking fresh. Choosing frames in the same color palette like the collection below from Pottery Barn helps make the photos the focus!
- Can anything be grouped by color or finish? Monotone groupings are SO CHIC and an instant way to bring the “professionally styled” look to your home. Remember those items that need to be repainted? Consider painting them all the same color to create a monotone grouping! Glass groupings can also be beautiful on a kitchen hutch or mantle.
- What is missing from the group to really bring your home up to date? Seasonal blankets, throws and baskets are a quick way to keep your home looking current and polished.
- What’s left? Personal collections can be a fun way to show your style personality. Take your son’s rock collection and put it in a metallic terrarium or under a domed cloche! We’ve included some of our favorite display solutions below…they’re so dreamy.
Now the fun part! On your freshly cleaned surfaces, slowly and methodically start placing your items back throughout your home. Remember – less is more! Try to always pair a taller item with a few smaller items and mix materials as well to add visual interest. Sometimes on a larger surface, items need a “home” to ground them– whether it be a tray or a small stack or books or pretty magazines.
Remember that you may not get it right on the first try, but don’t be discouraged. Check out our social media pages for inspiration on placing your items throughout your home! At StyledHome Box, we often rearrange our décor monthly…It’s kind of an addiction.
We will be publishing a series of posts over the next few weeks to continue to help you with the process of freshening up your space, just in time for spring!
Intimidated by the overwhelming options for home décor out there? Let us do the work and try out our monthly or quarterly subscription boxes! We will send you gorgeous items to help polish your home along with styling tips and photos like those above to show you how to make them fit perfectly in your space!
xo, Kate, Melanie & Misti